What is Vaginal Dryness?
Vaginal dryness is a common uncomfortable, and often painful condition. It can affect women at any stage of their adult life. Estrogen is the main female sex hormone and plays a very important role in the female body. One of the functions of estrogen is to maintain a lubricated and thick vaginal lining however it also has many other jobs such as to help preserve bone density, help maintain body temperature, and regulate production of cholesterol. There are many reasons why your estrogen levels can be disrupted which may include:
- Menopause or perimenopause
- Taking certain medications and having certain medical procedures
As women enter menopause, they naturally experience a decline in estrogen. According to the International Continence Society of Canada, during menopause over 75% of women may experience symptoms such as hot flushes, irregular periods, mood changes, sleep disturbances, joint discomfort, feeling achy or stiff, memory loss and vaginal dryness. As we age (and because of reduced estrogen levels) the vagina thins and becomes drier and tighter. It is important to note that no two women experience menopause in the same way.
Other factors that may cause vaginal dryness include anxiety and stress, over exercising, smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. Vaginal Dryness Symptoms may include soreness, general discomfort, itching or burning of the vagina, and painful intercourse.
Love making should be a lifetime practice and enjoyable at any adult age! Vaginal dryness can reduce a woman’s ability to enjoy sex, with painful intercourse potentially creating anxiety and fear of intimacy. There are solutions and we understand how important lubrication is to fully enjoy sexual intimacy with your partner.
Choosing the right lubrication is very important so if you are unsure if SYLK is right for you contact us to get a free sample (send your name, address, and age to email@example.com – (Australian residents only).
Practical lifestyle tips that may help prevent vaginal dryness
While we can’t prevent aging, there are many things you can do to try and avoid vaginal dryness which may include:
- Avoiding harsh soaps and any contact irritants (irritants like certain soaps, lotions, perfumes,
- Avoid douching as it can disrupt the natural balance of chemicals in your vagina, and may lead to dryness
- Avoid over-washing your vagina
- Stay well hydrated, drink plenty of water
- Wear breathable underwear, like cotton, bamboo, and other natural fibres.
- And remember regular intercourse promotes blood flow and keeps everything more supple!